Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ticks

I really hate summer. I've never been a fan of heat and humidity anyway, but now I have a new reason to hate summer: ticks.
To give you some background info, Maddie has been on K9 Advantix for about two years now. She's never had fleas *knock on wood* and she's never had a big problem with ticks. Unfortunately, our vet has been out of stock for weeks and she's two weeks overdue for a treatment of K9.

We've been having an awful heat wave with every day being in the 90's. Last night was finally a bearable temperature, so Aaron and I decided to go for a walk around the Cornerstone community near our house. Obviously, we took the dog with us. She loves being outside. She wags her tail literally the whole time she's out and sniffs and/or tastes everything. She just really enjoys the experience.
I wish I enjoyed simple things that much! lol
I felt great! My blood was pumping, my muscles were stretching, my endorphins were racing. I felt in a great mood. I enjoyed being out with Aaron. We even sat on a bench and prayed for a little while. It was nice.

Well, when we got home, I saw what I thought was a mud splatter on Maddie's belly.
Aaron got a tissue to wipe it off with and sure enough, it was a tick. We decided to make sure it was a loner. Of course not. We saw one on a hind leg and two about half an inch apart from each other on her front left leg. Right in front of those two was a big red rash. Great. I felt terrible for her.
As I was petting her, I felt a bump on her head. Another tick! Yuck!!
We went online after that and ordered 6 months of K9 Advantix from PetRx. With a coupon code, it was only $60.99 and included free shipping. That's cheaper than our vet sells it and certainly cheaper than Petsmart ($23 cheaper!).
Well, tonight, I was petting her head and I felt something crusty. You know what it was.
Another tick, of course.
We went to an emergency vet clinic and got her a Preventix Tick Collar. It was $19 for two, which last 3 months each. We'll still give her K9 whenever it comes (the vet tech said it's safe). This will just be extra protection.

I hate ticks. I hate summer. Ugh. lol
Come on winter! I'd take snow over heat any day!
I think I should live in Vermont or Minnesota.
That would be lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment