Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Traditions

Aaron and I have two Christmas traditions. The first started in 2005-- the first Christmas we were dating. During finals week, Aaron took me to Outback Steakhouse for dinner where we exchanged gifts, then he took me dancing and looking at Christmas lights. It was so perfect. It wasn't even anything fancy. We noticed that year that Randolph Macon Women's College (Randolph College, now) had pretty lights, so we got out and walked around and then he started dancing with me in the drizzle. Every year, we go back and dance, usually on the porch of one specific building. Always during finals week. In 2006, we also went to a celtic concert downtown at Rivermont Avenue Baptist Church. 2007, Aaron was working two jobs, I was working and taking a full course load, and we were moving, so it was rushed. I don't remember 2008... =( In 2009, we went to dinner at the Porter House and after we danced, we looked at paintings and walked around campus. This year, my Granny died the night that I finished my last on-campus final. Then we went to TN for her funeral. So, when we got back, (December 20th) Aaron reminded me that we had forgotten. He had to work until 9pm, and I'd already made dinner, so we looked at lights and went dancing. We danced for a long time and he kept me warm. We had a much needed talk. It was really great! =)

Our second Christmas tradition started three years ago. We agree on a set amount to spend on each other's stocking stuffers, then we pick a store and allow ourselves a set amount of time to pick everything out. We're not allowed to discuss what we buy and we have to try not to be seen by each other in the store. It's SO much fun! In 2008, we went to the Dollar Tree with $5/each... never again. Aaron bought me Q-tips (generic at that lol) and cleaning supplies... In 2009, we went to Target and we ended up getting each other stuff like "The Office" stationary, Nerds, gourmet chocolate, card games, etc. This year was $8 and 15 min at Target. I think I did pretty well and Aaron seemed confident with his picks =)

We've had a really good day today! I really needed it. A lot of crappyness has happened lately. And I'm sure a lot is still to come. But today was Aaron's day off and a nice school-less break from everything =)

No comments:

Post a Comment