Sunday, April 17, 2011

Access. Dog pee. Seminars.

I hate Microsoft Access. Well, let me rephrase that. I hate that my CMIS class uses an Access 2007 book even though I have Access 2010 on my laptop. I hate that I'm paying several hundred dollars to learn an outdated system. I hate that the two are so very different. I didn't have very many issues with Excel 2010 vs Excel 2007. I will be so glad when CMIS is finished in four weeks. So glad.

We had our meeting for The Split at our house today. About half an hour before our group started arriving, Maddie thought it would be fun to pee on the couch. What in the world??? She had never peed on the couch before. She hasn't had an accident in over a year. I guess accidents happen though. I had to use about 1/2 a bottle of Resolve Pet Stain cleaner, Blue Coral upholstery cleaner, and Lysol. It still stinks. Literally. I have it propped up against the screen door in the kitchen so it can dry. Our meeting went well though. Someone commented that Aaron and I have a very grounded relationship and that we both have very strong relationships with the Lord. That made me happy. I always have this weight on my shoulders about not being able to have children and I feel incomplete because of it. It just felt good that someone recognized that we're living for the Lord rather than pointing out our shortcomings.

Apparently a few people at Blue Ridge are talking about starting some kind of Bible study or community for married couples. I heard about it a few weeks ago and then today it was mentioned by someone else. I think it has the potential to be interesting. I just don't want it to become some kind of Keeping up with the Joneses type of thing as those groups so often become. We were in a Sunday school class for married couples at our old church and I hated it. I felt like everyone was expected to live their lives by the same road map and Aaron and I often felt ostracized. We went to a marriage workshop type of thing at Blue Ridge last spring and it didn't really do anything for us. It seemed geared more toward helping couples who fight all the time. A lot of it was information we had learned in our pre-marriage counseling. And then when Aaron and I would bring up something we were going through, we were put down with comments like, "Oh, just wait till you have kids," or "You're not really married until you have kids." I just don't want it to be like the type of environment where everyone talks about their kids or planning to have kids all night. There is more to marriage and to life than having babies. And so many couples think they have arrived when they have a child. They stop living for God, stop ministering to others, and cease being willing to follow God's direction in their lives because they want to be in a certain comfort zone. So, I'm not sure if this is something we'd get involved with. We have a very strong and fulfilling marriage. I feel like every time we try to take lessons from seminars or books, we just end up beating ourselves up over not being as perfect as so-and-so and then leave feeling worse than when we started. Is that weird?

I've made some tasty things to eat today! My favorite side-dish is wild mushroom couscous. I've blogged about it before. I'm practically having a love affair with it. I know that's weird. It's just soooo good. Well, I fell in love with another food today: caprese salad. I've made caprese sandwiches on ciabatta before, but today was the first time I'd had it as a salad. Heaven. I ran a handful of fresh basil leaves along with about 1/4 c. of good olive oil through the food processor. Then I added freshly cracked black pepper and a little garlic powder. I cut some cubes from a ball of mozzarella cheese, added tomato wedges, and then added the basil mixture. Stirred that up and let it chill in the fridge for an hour. YUM. Soooo yummy! And very healthy. I also made some no-bake cheesecake cupcakes today with cherry topping. That was not healthy, but it was a hit. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment