Saturday, April 23, 2011

Perspectives

I'm a little sad to be away from Aaron (ok, I totally miss him!), but if I have to be anywhere else with anyone else, I'm glad I'm with my Papaw.
Tomorrow is Easter. My dad had a term for people who only go to church on Christmas and Easter. Keesters. Think about it. I've never understood the logic behind these people. Whoopdie-doo for you, going to church twice a year. Not. However, I think a big part of the blame belongs to the American church. So many churches teach a "good enough" doctrine (Isaiah 64:6). If you're good enough, you're good. God will just be pleased that you're not being bad. At least you're not doing ___(insert sin here)___... People are not bold enough with their faith, so they water it down so as not to hurt anyone's feelings, offend anyone, or risk being disliked. Shame on us. If there's one thing I want to accomplish during 2011, it is being shamelessly bold about my faith. Please note that I am not talking about being cruel or biggoted. I Peter 3:13-17 clearly directs Christ-followers do be bold in their faith, yet with gentleness and respect.

Different topic.
I'm seriously soap-boxing here. Feel free to leave my blog if you don't like what I have to say.
I'm so sick of people being selfish about their lives. I'm guilty of it so often, so please don't think this is directed at anyone in particular.
But seriously. "I'm not happy in my marriage, so I'm just going to leave and 'find myself' and find happiness on my own. My spouse and children can just get over it. It's my life." Well, maybe that was aimed at someone... well, a few people.
Or, "Waaa. I'm so sick of my tight budget. I don't understand why God wants me here, now. Why can't I just take charge and find a new job on my own terms?" Ok, that one definitely hits home!
My point is this: life is what you make of it. Nothing more. Nothing less.
A situation is just a situation, and it's completely subjective. It's our attitudes that matter.
So, when we're struggling financially, we can either whine and complain and refuse to change our lifestyles... or we can be thankful for what we do have learn to find fulfillment in various ways other than spending money.
When we're going through rough patches in our marriage, we can either belittle and disrespect our spouses... or we can try to see things from their perspectives, talk openly but respectfully, pray for each other, and spend time loving each other unconditionally.
Someone talked to me last week about wanting to leave her marriage because she just "isn't happy". Seriously? No one is happy all the time! Is he beating you? No. Is he cheating on you? No. Why can't you work it out? Because I don't want to. Ah-ha. There's the answer. "But you don't understand. You've never walked in my shoes. You're married to your best friend." Hmm... let's see. Infertility- check. Unemployment- check. Student loan debt- check. Health problems- check. Familial burdens- check. Differing interests- check. But we make it work. Actually, no. We rely on God and love each other with the love God shows us. Sometimes it's hard! But we love each other. We have each other's best interest at heart. We don't just get mad and leave because we don't feel like trying anymore. We don't blame each other. I'm definitely praying for this couple. Every day. I just see so much of this attitude hurting kids and teens through our ministry at church and it gets draining after a while.
This isn't even a great epiphany. It's thanks to growing up in church, taking marriage & family classes in college, and studying the Word. I just felt really burdened to write it.
So... especially during this Easter weekend, let's all be challenged to love our families the way God loved us.Unconditionally. Undeservingly. Unwaveringly.

1 comment: