Saturday, May 21, 2011

Swiffer Wet Jet vs, Rubbermaid Reveal mop

Hey guys,
This is a product review comparing the Swiffer Wet Jet vs. the Rubbermaid Reveal mop (in case you didn't get that from the title ;).
I have laminate flooring in my kitchen and downstairs bathroom and ceramic tile in my upstairs bathroom.

Let me go ahead and say that NOTHING works as well as getting on my knees and using some elbow grease. What I have found to work best is spot treating stains with a product like 409 and then attacking the whole floor with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Love them!

However, that's not practical for everyday or even weekly cleaning.
I've tried different mops, different cleaning solutions, etc. It's just a pain washing out the mop head in the kitchen sink (I don't have a utility sink) and carrying a heavy bucket all around my house.
I decided to try these two products.

I've had the Swiffer Wet Jet for several months. I've never been super-impressed by it. Its cleaning power is low. It's about the equivalent to wiping the floor with a wet paper towel.
I needed to get pad and solution refills, so I decided instead to try a new spray mop.
That would be the Rubbermaid Reveal.
I tried it this morning for the first time. Here's what I think:

As you can see, the Rubbermaid spray mop has a much larger cleaning surface.

It also has a more comfortable handle.

Other initial assessments were that the Rubbermaid Reveal allows you to use your own cleaning solution instead of buying overpriced Swiffer solution. The Rubbermaid mop comes with a terry pad that is machine washable and has a rougher scrubbing surface instead of Swiffer's crappy, overpriced cleaning pads. Both are wins for Rubbermaid in my opinion. Additionally, the Rubbermaid Reveal is NOT battery operated like the Swiffer Wet Jet (this was not as much a pro as I thought!).

Cost:
A Swiffer Starter Kit is $18.99 at Walmart. The only coupons I was ever able to find for Swiffer were for their starter kits. In addition to making the initial mop investment, you have to buy new cleaning pads and cleaning solution. A pack of 12 cleaning pads is $4.49 at Target. A bottle of solution is... about $4-$5. The bottle is small, too. And the cap won't unscrew to allow users to mix their own solution.

Rubbermaid, on the other hand, is a one-time purchase. They do sell additional cloths if needed, but they are machine washable and Velcro right to the mop. The initial purchase is $24.99 at Target (currently on sale for $20.99). + Rubbermaid

Maneuvering:
Swiffer Wet Jet is smaller and easier to maneuver around small areas such as toilets. Rubbermaid Reveal is larger and sturdier, making it easiest to handle. +Rubbermaid

Spraying:
Swiffer, definitely! Remember when I said the Rubbermaid doesn't use batteries like the Swiffer? Yeah... Well, the Rubbermaid has a trigger you have to pull similar to a spray bottle. Continuously. By the time I finished mopping our small kitchen with the Rubbermaid, my forearm was sore and tingly from squeezing the trigger so much. The Swiffer has a thumb button that sprays a continuous stream until you let go of the button. So much easier!! +Swiffer

Scrubbing:
The Swiffer is the equivalent to wiping something up with a paper towel. The pad is absorbent, so you see all the nasty brown stuff through the pad. It does have a scrubber on top, but it is a joke. The Rubbermaid is like wiping something with a terry towel. It is a little more "scrubby", but not by much. I'd rate the two about equal for scrubbing ability. One thing I did like better about Rubbermaid is that it picked up little pieces of fur/hair missed by our broom. The Swiffer just spreads them around.

Overall, I would recommend the Rubbermaid because of cost. I also like that I can use my own cleaning solution.



No comments:

Post a Comment