Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fishy

I had a bad experience as a child that left me hating fish. When I was in 3rd grade, my dad had gone fishing and caught dinner. I don't know if my parents couldn't afford groceries or something... Anyway, he didn't debone the fish. So, as I was trying to eat this fish, I kept finding transluscent bones and it was just disgusting and creepy. So, after that, I'd have the occasional tuna sandwich or fried fish sticks... And as an adult, I've had fish like 4 times: salmon at home once, pecan crusted talapia from Isabellas 4 years ago, and fried flounder at Gondolier (which was surprisingly amazing). But I've always had that fish memory haunting me lol

So, one of my friends has gotten me on a fish kick recently. She's always grilling shark, swordfish, talapia, etc. And some Hawaiian fish was secret ingredient on an Iron Chef episode I saw last week. So... I've been curious.

This, week, we're going to have three fish meals. Last night, we had some Mediterranean crusted salmon. It was pre-made at Kroger and I was looking for an easy dinner. It was pretty good, but I know it contained an ungodly amount of preservatives. We're also going to have pan-fried cod one day this week. I'm not a fan of fish OR fried food, but I'm going to give it a whirl. I've had fried fish (catfish and flounder) twice and liked it both times.

Today, I'm grilling ceviche-style mahi-mahi. This was one expensive dish, let me tell ya. Mahi-mahi, tequila, limes, cliantro, oranges, red onion, jalapenos. I really hope it turns out! I felt out of place going into the ABC store to buy tequila. Fortunately, since I only needed 1/4 cup, I was able to buy the airplane size bottles. I've heard that tequila is vile. I've heard it tastes like dog food, vomit, forest fire, and dirt. I really hope it doesn't ruin this meal! It got 5-star reviews, so I have high hopes for it.

I made out like a bandit with coupons at Kroger, yesterday! I got 10 days of meals, totalling $124, for $82! I had like 30 coupons lol. One of them was for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more (and I have 4 more! Yay!). Every time I complain about Kroger, they redeem themselves. I think I'll complain more often >=)

Aaron and I have had two amazing evenings in a row! Thursday, after we took Opal to the vet, paid an arm & a leg there, and then gave her a life-threatening bath [our lives, not hers], we watched "Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone" and Aaron made dinner for us (spaghetti, but the thought counts). Then last night, we watched "Return to Me", which is one of my all-time favorite movies! I love just cuddling under blankets and drinking hot chocolate-- even in June :)

We're going to a wedding tonight at Concorde Manor. I've gone wedding shopping with the bride a few times, now. This week was reception food shopping... they're going to have like 5 different kinds of cheesecake-- yuuuuuum!

No comments:

Post a Comment