I Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "...your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. "
I generally cook healthy meals, not as a means of losing weight, but as a means of becoming healthier. Aaron and I have talked a lot about this, and I'm curious if any of my readers have ever thought of this:
You are what you eat. If you eat salty, greasy, sugary foods, you're going to become fat and puffy and have a bad complexion and feel tired when you need energy, and hyper when you should be sleeping. Food affects me a lot. When I eat fast food or candy, I just feel bad. My body feels weird... I feel lethargic during the day and then very hyper and lively when I'm trying to fall asleep. I also break out pretty badly. I also tend to over-eat. Food just does me in.
I think my food intake is much healthier than most peoples'. I never make meals out of a box. I never cook canned soups and vegetables. We buy a lot of organic foods. We never, ever eat tasty cakes, potato chips, buttery popcorn, etc. I cook pretty healthy meals. Lots of grilled fish, grilled chicken, veggies, yogurt, string cheese, fruit, couscous (HIGH in protein!) etc. BUT... chocolate is my sinful indulgence. I used to say that jokingly, but I really, seriously have a problem with it. In my heart, I believe it literally has become a sin. I noticed this yesterday when I started being really crabby and then felt shaky... until I had M&M's at the movies. There is clearly a problem, and I'm going to nip it in the bud. A friend of mine told me that there's never a craving that can't be satisfied in three bites. Well... I don't have the willpower to stop after three bites. I think I just need to give it up, period. I know that might sound funny to some people, but I mean it with all seriousness. What would my life be like without this "addiction"? I would probably feel better, look better, sleep better, and be more productive.
In the last three weeks, I have had not one, but two bladder infections =( I think the antibiotics from the first one didn't fully kill it, so it came back. Because I've felt so miserable, I've only exercised a handfull of times, usually just going for longer walks (2-4 miles) with Maddie. No running though. I've been really convicted lately to take better care of my body. I saw a little boy yesterday who I'm pretty sure had cerebral palsy. He was in a wheelchair, couldn't move his legs, and could barely hold up his head. It made me think of how lucky I am to have legs and to be able to use them to move, walk, run. And I need to do those things far more often! I always make excises-- it's too hot, gym memberships are too expensive, it's raining, it's humid, I'm tired, Maddie pulls too much when we run, etc. But, no more. I was all gung-ho about this back in April, but then I sort of gave up on it. No more.
No comments:
Post a Comment