Wednesday, February 16, 2011

House Sale. Jury Duty. Internship.

Sometimes, working 5 measly hours feels longer than working a full 9-hour day. Generally speaking, I really like my internship. I am learning so much that I didn't learn in college. I get along well with everyone. I am getting good experience to list on my resume. However, sometimes it's just boring! When my supervisor assigns tasks for me to do, or when I shadow consultants, time flies. However, yesterday, there were no customer appointments scheduled and NO ONE had anything for me to do. I literally sat at my computer most of the day. I personalized my settings on office communicator, I personalized my desktop, I researched Swanstone and Corian sinks.... There was just nothing to do. I don't like sitting there. I want to work. I want to get experience-- that's why I'm there. Oh well, I guess I'm 5 hours closer to completing my internship. Today was good though. I got to meet and talk to one of the owners of RM Gantt construction. I got to shadow an interesting appointment. When I leave Friday (tomorrow) afternoon, I'll be 1/2 way done and one day closer to having my degree.

We met with our realtor today. Mike McGorman is the bomb. Aaron knew him through his son, Jonathan, who was one of Aaron's roommates back in college. He made the process of buying our first home just so easy. I've known so many people who had problems, but our road to home ownership was practically paved with gold. We asked him to come by to take a look at our house and advise us on what other things we should update before we sell. The main things are carpet, a new banister, and 6-panel doors. He loved our kitchen and he said if the market is the way it is today (or better), we'll be able to get back every dime we've invested! YAY! That's a lot more than some people can say. Actually, he said with those last few upgrades (about $2,000 more), he'd list our house at about $20,000 more than we paid for it two years ago! :)

I've also been summoned for jury duty. It starts on March 9th and goes for 30 days. The letter I received said that jurors seldom have to appear more than 5 days. BUT... I need to finish my internship that week! I might see about working longer shifts and getting it out of the way sooner. Maybe I'll get a cool case... maybe a murder case. But this is Lynchburg... I'll probably have to sit and listen to a case involving cow tipping or something. lol I'm a little excited for it too, though! :)

1 comment:

  1. And I also forgot to mention, Mike asked me if I'd be interested in doing home staging for him! :)

    ReplyDelete